Participants rotate through twenty-minute discussions with three different knowledge specialists. It’s like speed dating for executive learning.
I have facilitated similar sessions and they are fun, loud and shorter than you would like. Staying focused in a carnival environment is a key success factor.
The forum is branded “Recharge” and this session is guaranteed to deliver. My topic is Leading Through Ambiguity and Change. I want to over-deliver on the experience. What can I do to super-charge the Recharge?
As a facilitator, you have many ways to set the mood. Your tone, body language and energy level directly effect people’s thinking, feelings and behaviour.
Here are the approaches I will be taking to ignite my groups:
- Set energized expectations with my welcome
- Demonstrate open body language—hands open, good eye contact, facing people directly, smiling a lot
- Ask everyone to stand in a circle—it’s easier to be energized when more mobile
- Start with a quick energizer activity: “Shake hands with the person beside you and say, “‘I feel great’ like you mean it!”—there is neuroscience behind this one, really
- Add humour through stories
- Ensure everyone participates
- End with a crescendo!